Mallorca in February – The Best Things to See and Do
If you thought that Mallorca in February is boring and with hardly nothing to do, we have to tell you, you are wrong. For sure despite it is an off the season month. But we have brought in this article a list of suggestions for making the most of Mallorca in February. You will find here things to do, places to visit and event taking place on the island.
In Mallorca in February the days start to get long, and we slowly approach the Spring time. As a sign of that we start to see green plots in the countryside, flowers blooming and the almond blossom. The temperature is warmer than in January and we have more day light hours.
Mallorca Weather in February
February in Mallorca is one of the coldest months in Mallorca, but the weather is still lot better than in many countries in the Northern of Europe. And you can be lucky and get very nice weather and bright sunny days. The evenings are chilly as the temperature drops sharply, and the mornings are cool. If it is sunny during the day, it will be certainly a lovely day but if it rains or is cloudy, it will be cold all day.
The February temperatures in Mallorca are cold with an average temperature of around 10 degrees. The highest temperature during the day time is 15 degrees and at night time is 7 degrees. There are 5 average days of rain, 54% chances for a perfect sunny day and 46% chances for a cloudy day.
In February the temperature of the sea water is around 10-12 degrees, so it is quite cold. Not even the brave swimmers decide to swim in February. Perhaps is better seeking the comfort of an indoor pool or a heated pool as some of the hotels opened in February have these facilities.
Pack warm clothes and comfort shoes to explore the island.
We have a total of 6 hours of bright sunshine. The sunrise is at around 08:30 and the sunset at 18:30.
Mallorca Holidays and Events in February
The main event in February is the Carnival, but there are also some interesting local fairs on the weekends in different villages. Also, in February is Saint Valentines day and there is a very unique event at Palma Cathedral not to be missed.
Saint Valentine’s Day
We have to say that Valentine’s Day in Mallorca was not that popular before. Since a few years ago, it has acquired popularity. Many restaurants offer special menus, hotels offer special packages and there are more advertisements around. You can opt for the “standard” options such as a romantic dinner at a restaurant or a hotel stay with spa and dinner. If you want something different, you can opt for an helicopter flight or a hot balloon ride. The most interesting options you can check in our special Valentine´s article:
We have prepared a proposal for original gifts for Valentine’s Day in Mallorca. These are unique and different experiences with which you will surely surprise your partner...
Festival of light at Palma Cathedral
On 2nd February Palma Cathedral doors open at 07:30 for a unique event. The sun’s position at 08:00 in the morning will cast an image of the Western rosette window on the opposite wall, just below the East rosette window, and it will form an 8. This is not just random but a result of a mathematical design from centuries ago which creates the appearance of the figure 8 which means a union of the material and spiritual world. The event is free and you can take photos and videos. In fact, if you search on instragram or youtube, you can find many and see how this spectacle of the lights inside the Cathedral is.
Almond Blossom Fair
The almond blossom (pic. by Colin Bedson) is very popular in Mallorca, and it is no surprise it has its own fair. The “fira Flor de Ametler” takes places in Son Servera, and it is totally almond orientated. A stroll around the fair will show you the different types of almonds, the products made with almonds and old traditions related to this fruit. There are many stall with almond products such as oil, creams, perfumes, food, candles, crafts… We highly recommend you to try the “gato” cake made with local almonds.
What to See and Do in Mallorca in February
In February most of the resorts will be shut, especially in the East and North rea, so it is a good idea to stay in Palma. Palma is busy all year round, there are many things to do there, and from Palma you can travel to many places on the island.
Being an off the season month, some attractions might be closed or have a Winter timetable, so plan ahead the visit you want to do.
Tourist attractions in February
From December to February many tourist attractions remain closed, as this is the quietest time of the year in Mallorca. Some attractions opened in February are:
- Palma Aquarium
- Caves of Drach, Arta, Hams, Campanet and Genova
- La Granja and Els Calderers manor houses (museums of how rural Mallorca life was)
Visit Palma de Mallorca
Many people decide to come to Mallorca in Winter on a city break, and they come for a weekend. A visit to Mallorca should not miss a visit to Palma, Mallorca’s capital. These are some of the places we recommend you to visit in Palma:
- Palma Cathedral and the Arte Sacro museum which has been reopened in March. Don’t forget it closes on Sunday.
- A stroll around the old town area. Walk on the old walls, discover what is left from the Jewish quarter and then explore the old narrow streets.
- For food lovers, we recommend a visit to one of the Palma markets. At Mercado del Olivar and Mercado de Santa Catalina you will find many stall selling local products and stall where to stop for a tapa and a drink.
- A walk in the seafront area, the Paseo Maritimo. Along 6 kilometers you will see how the Port of Palma is with its yachts, boats and cruises.
- A visit to Bellver castle from where to enjoy great views of Palma bay.
Almond Blossom in Mallorca
In Mallorca there are around 4 million of almond trees, and the blossom is in February, and it is spectacular. The white flower of the almonds stands out in the mallorcan countryside, and February is a perfect month to do an almond blossom route in Mallorca countryside.
A recommended route is in the Raiguer area, the area situated at the foot of the mountain area, between the Tramuntana area and the inland area. Around the villages of Santa Maria, Binissalem, Consell, Alaro and Lloseta you can see many almonds in flower. You can combine the route with a stop in one of the wine villages of Santa Maria, Consell or Binissalem to visit a bodega and get to know about the mallorcan wines. For lunch opt for “menu del dia” at a local restaurant, this is a 3 course meal with drinks for around 12€.
If you are staying in the north of the island you can choose between one of 3 best wineries near Alcudia:
Wine culture in Mallorca is growing from generation to generation and is incredible. You can find big wineries and many small family businesses, each with extraordinary range of wines to choose...
Puig de Randa
A nice route close to Palma and also with the possibility of seeing the almond blossom is a trip to Randa hill. You will need to rent a car though. Head first to Algaida, and follow the sign to Castellitx. Here you will find an old oratory from the 13th Century with a Romanic byzantine style gate which is unique in Mallorca. According to some books, this was the earliest Christian temple to be built after the Catalonian conquer in 1229. It was also an ending of the Arab domination in Mallorca.
Continue then to Randa and follow the indications to the top of the hill. It is a 3 kilometers road that will take you at 600 meters high where the oratory of Cura stands out. This is an excellent view point from which on clear days the whole plain of the island, the bays of Palma and Alcudia and the island of Cabrera can be seen. Take the opportunity to visit the museum and learn about the famous philosopher and writer Ramon Llull who in the 13th century stayed here.
We hope you have found this article about Mallorca in February useful, and that it helps you to plan your travel to Mallorca. If you liked the article, please share it on facebook so other travelers can see it. If you have some extra suggestions for March in Mallorca, leave us your comment and we will add it to the article.
Tours and activities in Mallorca
In NoFrills Excursions we offer a wide range of the best quality tours and activities in Mallorca. We cooperate only with trusted local providers with the highest level of customer service. All of them provide clear and concise information about the pickup, timetables and itineraries. The issue of the price is always important, so click on the button below to find out about all our special prices and discounts.